Thursday, March 10, 2011

Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep


Let me tell you a little bit about my best  friend. This morning I was feeling very lonely, missing Jeffrey. I was trying to think of who I could call that I wouldn't be bothering at work and couldn't think of anyone. At this point I think, Jesus isn't busy. He always has time for me. "Lord, you are all I need. Please come visit with me and keep me company today." Feeling somewhat better instantly, I went into Jeffrey's room to sort through some pictures which is good for me to do when I am missing him because all the memories make me smile. Then God began to work. The phone rang. A very pleasant and talkative friend (you know who you are: )) was on the other end and we visited for quite a while. I went back to finish my pictures and about the time I did, the phone rang again; another friend making plans for dinner tomorrow night. About 10 minutes after I got off the phone with her, it rang again and I was greeted by another very talkative friend who said she had meant to invite me for lunch and forgot, but wanted to know if I could meet her tomorrow and then she shared with me for the duration of her lunch break. I put up a load of laundry and called back the first friend who I had just realized had provided me with a task that could keep me distracted for some time to ask her if it was okay to take that over. She obliged :) and we had another lengthy phone call, after which I played with Shelby for a while, shared a nap with her and went to get the girls from school. When we got back from school I opened the mailbox as usual to find a very large package  stuffed in there from an unknown name. I opened it up and inside was a beautiful handmade quilt square. It had many tiny little triangles sewn together into an "Arkansas Star".  On the back it is dedicated in memory of Jeffrey Allen Freitag and contained his birth and death dates with a picture of Winnie the Pooh and read "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take." complete with a rod and brackets for hanging. I was overwhelmed. How incredibly special that was an what a labor of love for a stranger. It turns out it was made by the mother of my uncle's significant other in California. She's never even met me, although obviously her sweet daughter has had me on her heart and has shared with her. As for the phone calls, my phone rarely rings during the day and when it  does it's a Dr's office with a reminder or a telemarketer. All three of these ladies that called today rarely dial my number. That's how my Best Friend works! He puts things in order that could not be random coincidence. If you haven't already you should really meet Him! His name is Jesus! He will do the exact same thing for you!


I feel like also metioning here another very noteable time Jesus has done this for me, even though it isn't related to Jeffrey in any way. In the middle of the night once as a teenager, I found myself distraught and without a friend. I didn't have any dealings with family at this point and my two best friends had both moved away and I had just found my boyfriend with another girl. I was so alone and although I hadn't actually given my life over to Jesus at that point, He was leading me firmly in that direction. I prayed to him to send me a friend, someone, anyone! The very next morning an old friend showed up at the door out of nowhere and wanted to hang out! We spent almost every day together for months until I met my future hubby and got into church and came to know my new Best Friend in a more real way! Some may think this is all random, but I know with everything in me it is absolutely not! So thank you to every one of these people that have allowed God to use them to brighten my days. I will never forget you and certainly not Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment